In this video, you see some great early reading strategies being put to good use by Emily while decoding.
- Don’t just tell your child the difficult words.
- Use the phrase, “Get your mouth ready.” Your child should notice the first letter or first group of letters and make the appropriate sounds.
- Ask your child to “stretch it out.” You can see me using my fingers to tap out the sounds with her as well. Stretching it out requires them to slowly say each sound and then put it together.
- Teach your child to look at the pictures for clues.
- Ask, “Does that make sense?” They will then learn to internalize this rule and ask themselves this question while reading.
- Look for known parts or chunks in bigger words.
- Praise, praise, praise!!! Keep it fun!