This time last week I was having bun anxiety ~ no joke. I told Emily I had to practice the bun before the big recital weekend. Time passed on. I didn’t want to gunk up her hair and practice when she was all clean and out of the bath, ya know? Who has time for practicing? Not me. Procrastination is the name of the game.
So Friday night I told her it was time. Our rehearsal was in the morning, so it was now or never. We sat down on the couch together and tuned into YouTube to get some tips.
Holy buns. That’s the place to learn, really. I learned about chignons, messy buns, flip your head upside down with a french braid underneath buns ~ you name it. Good ol’ YouTube.
So I convinced myself that watching was enough. I sent her off to bed and told her we’d do it in the morning. And that we did.
I amazed myself. Watch out Dance Moms, I know how to make one hell of a bun! Here is what you need to know.
How to Make A Perfect Bun
- Wet the hair, or use a detangling spray so that the hair is slick to the head.
- Form a tight ponytail
- Apply gel to the entire length of the ponytail
- Start twisting tightly and pin the bun as you twist. I was overzealous with the bobby pins and everything stayed put. You really need to walk around the head as you go and twist so that the hair is super tight.
- When you start to run out of hair to twist, or the twist gets thinner, just keep wrapping it around the outer part of the already made bun and secure it underneath with more pins.
- Emily got spiky fly-aways popping up in the middle of her bun. Use gel to “paint” those fly-aways down. That way you don’t even need a hairnet.
- Pin any loose hairs that aren’t sleek against the head.
- Spray with hairspray
- Gel any bits you want for a sleek, ballerina look.
It’s a gorgeous look for the summer and I plan on making many a bun this summer before we head off to the beach. I think it’s an absolutely stunning look. (Oh, and yes, I cried. AGAIN.)
Looking for an easy way out on the bun making? You could try the magic foam bun maker!!?? I swear, they think of everything. Who are they?