This summer has been all about this scrumptious chicken skewer recipe on the grill. It is light, super tasty and a different way to enjoy chicken. It goes well with Dole’s Chopped Sesame Asian Salad Kit. We hope you try it and let us know what you think. It’s our new favorite and has been on our dinner menu just about every other week this summer. In fact, we had it again last night with a side of edamame. No matter what you pair with it, you’ll be going back to Yakitori Chicken again and again.
- 1 pound chicken thighs
- 4 scallions (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup mirin (Japanese sweetened rice wine)
- 1/4 cup sake (Japanese brewed rice wine)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth (optional, preferably homemade)
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 thin slice ginger, smashed
- Cut the chicken thighs into 1/2" slices.
- Trim the scallions, then cut the white and light green parts crosswise into 1 inch pieces.
- Fold the chicken slices in half and slide onto the skewer.
- Add a scallion after each two pieces of chicken.
- Repeat until skewer is covered.
- Salt each skewer lightly
- Preheat the grill to a high heat.
- Brush the grate lightly with oil.
- Bring the ingredients to a boil, then simmer, stirring often, until reduced by half, about ten minutes.
- Put the skewers on the grill over direct medium-high heat, with the bamboo handles protected by a strip of aluminum foil.
- Cook for two minutes, then flip.
- Cook for another two minutes.
- Brush the skewers with the tare sauce, flip again, and cook for 1 minute.
- Brush with sauce again, flip, and cook for one more minute.
- Remove the skewers from the grill to a platter and serve.
There’s just something about this recipe that will keep you coming back for more! Chicken thighs sure are tasty on the grill. Let us know what you think of this recipe! So tender and juicy. Enjoy!