We were up close and personal with Annie and Daddy Warbucks last Wednesday evening on the red carpet for Annie the Musical at the Citi Performing Arts Center – Wang Theatre. Everyone keeps asking us how the show was and all I can say is that it’s a MUST SEE. I feel like the kids loved it, but the grown ups loved it even more, because, well – ya know – It’s ANNIE!!!! It just brought me right back to 1982!!
- It’s a timeless classic – you’ll enjoy yourself more than your kids will. I would even recommend leaving the kids at home and making it a girls’ night out!
- The singing – it’s just amazing. GOOSEBUMPS.
- Miss Hannigan – she is the bees knees in this one, folks.
- The sets. Best sets I’ve seen in a show in a very long time. I felt like I was right in the middle of it all in NYC.
- The orphan girls – amazingly good. The entire cast is extraordinary, but those little girls knock it out of the park with “It’s the Hard Knock Life”
So the ending is quite different than the movie (as sort of expected), and it lacks a tiny bit of umph, but it’s still spectacular. The outfits are just spot on and Annie (played by Issie Swickle – just 9 yrs. old) can really belt out a tune! The first half is a bit long, but fantastic. Running time for the entire show is 2 hours and 15 minutes, including a fifteen minute intermission. If you’re thinking about bringing the little ones, I’d opt for a matinee performance, as with the 7pm start, we weren’t home until about 11pm on a school night – I guess there’s ALWAYS traffic on 93! In addition, I only brought Emily (age 8) and that was a very wise decision. The little boys (6 and 4) would not have been able to sit through it all and I saw quite a few little ones who were falling asleep and starting to “lose it”, all due to being up past their bedtime.
Disclosure: I received tickets to see Annie on opening night. All thoughts and opinions are my own.