Disclosure: I wrote this post as part of my participation in a blog tour for The Motherhood on behalf of the makers of Children’s MOTRIN® and received compensation to thank me for taking the time to participate. However, all opinions expressed are my own.
Let’s face it, everyone knows I’m not a planner and I’m certainly not organized. BUT, there’s always room to improve. Mr. Stowed Stuff might not like my piles that I create and leave around the house, but I’m the first to admit that there’s NOT a place for everything around here. I do my best, but I stink at being the organized housewife. I’m doing everything I can to be an #unstoppablemom.
However, the holidays are coming and will be here before we all know it. That means Santa at the mall, Christmas trees, turkeys in ovens, gifts, and all the crazy chaos of the holiday season will be here in a flash. I need to stay ahead of the game this year and enjoy it more than I did last year. Last year I just wasn’t into any of it. I remember saying, “I’m so glad it’s OVER” just after Christmas and I didn’t like being in that frame of mind. I’m about to change things this year and I already feel better about it. I’m going to drink more hot chocolate (and wine, let’s get real), listen to more Christmas tunes and not let the stress of the holidays get to me. I’m going to STAY AHEAD!
The Stow family is taking control of the holidays and we’re going to keep our jolly good smiles and jingles in our step all the way to the new year!
- Holiday Photo – Get it done NOW. I’m talking yesterday. Take advantage of this mild weather we’re having and get that family shot outside! The sooner the better. We all know that family photo shoots in those Christmas jammies is a family nightmare. You could land yourself in divorce court over that one perfect photo. There’s bound to be punching, yelling, tears and timeouts – so stay ahead and do it NOW! We are actually PAYING someone to take ours for us this weekend and I’m so excited about it because I don’t have to be the bad guy with the camera in their faces. Let’s see if they pull that funny stuff with a stranger…
- Address List – take a look at your address list now and update it. Get it on the computer if it isn’t already. Maybe you can even make labels for your holiday cards this year if you start organizing that list NOW!
- Don’t go crazy with extended family gifts – pick a family and buy one awesome gift that will suit everyone! Our family did that last year and there were far less headaches, less worrying about what to buy and everyone was happy! Keep it simple with a family grab gift between cousins and aunts and uncles.
- Budget! Don’t overspend and buy things willy nilly as you go. Plan a list for each person in your family and keep it simple. I remember the times I went crazy on Christmas and it wasn’t even appreciated! A few thoughtful gifts are sure to put smiles on everyone’s faces.
- Keep all your receipts in one place.
- Shop online. It’s the best way to avoid overspending and dealing with PEOPLE and PARKING! Plus, you get to enjoy your hot chocolate and your Christmas music from the comfort of your own home!
- Take advantage of Pinterest.
- Light Yankee Candles. There’s nothing like a good scent to keep you in a holly jolly mood.
- Be the organizer of a group gift for teachers and coaches. That way, no one has to worry about the last minute scramble and that lucky teacher gets something great – like an AMEX GIFTCARD! Just an idea, friends.
- Hire a cleaning service. This is the best thing that ever happened to me – our cleaners come every two weeks and they definitely put me in a good mood every other Monday morning! They do a bang-up job and the house smells divine. When the house is clean and fresh it puts me in my happy place and I feel more motivated and energetic. Plus, I try harder to keep it tidy and clean because I like it so much that way. It’s money well spent and it’s your little gift to yourself all year long!
So let’s hear your tips and tricks for ways to stay sane this holiday season! Please share them below in the comments and remember to enter to win one of many $100 Gift Cards through the #unstoppablemoms program!
The makers of Children’s MOTRIN® are asking Moms to post their tips and tricks to theMOTRIN® Facebook page under each week’s Kelly Ripa question video and for every post, Children’s MOTRIN® will donate $1 to Safe Kids Worldwide, a global nonprofit that provides moms with the tips they need to help keep their children safe. Moms could even win weekly giveaways of $100 gift cards just for posting.*
*NO PURCHASE NECESSARY, OPEN TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES & D.C., 18 AND OLDER. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. Promotion ends 11:59p.m. ET 12/28/14. Sponsor will donate $1 for each approved Submission made as part of the promotion, with a minimum donation of $30,000 and a maximum donation of $50,000. For Official Rules, and complete details, visit www.unstoppablemoms.com. Sponsor: McNeil Consumer Healthcare Division of McNEIL-PPC, Inc. To learn more about Safe Kids Worldwide visit safekids.org.The makers of Children’s MOTRIN® are asking Moms to post their tips and tricks to the MOTRIN® Facebook page under each week’s Kelly Ripa question video and for every post, Children’s MOTRIN® will donate $1 to Safe Kids Worldwide, a global nonprofit that provides moms with the tips they need to help keep their children safe. Moms could even win weekly giveaways of $100 gift cards just for posting.*